"Seize the idea, the words will come."

- Marcus Porcius Cato (95-46 B.C.)

About Me

My photo
Waukesha, WI, United States

Monday, May 16, 2011

Mark Twain and Groucho Marx - Together Again!

Why not? How those two could play with words.

The dictionary defines the phrase 'inside out' as something done in such a manner that the inner surface becomes the outer surface. I thought it an appropriate description of what I am attempting to do here. After all, isn't that the essence of writing? Taking thoughts and ideas that are on the inside and exposing them to the outside world? Okay, in this case a mighty small outside world. But you get the idea.

Nathaniel Hawthorne once said: "Easy reading is damn hard writing." In that case I'll do my best to make this an easy read, hopefully a fun one too. I like good writing and I love a good laugh, so that's what I'll be aiming for here. I'm not saying I'll hit the target every time. Nobody does.

So with all due respect to the true masters like Mark Twain and Groucho Marx, allow me to humbly pull up a chair and see what I can do.

PS. Thanks for the idea, Kristin.

1 comment:

  1. Clearly, this blog is some form of cross between high energy cosmological physics and 19th century folklore. Its a must read for history buffs or simply those "in the buff." As Twain once said, " Dammit Jennie, where did I put the whiskey ? "

    "Gone With the Wind," was one of America's finest literary moments. And Margaret Mitchell was pretty hot for a bookworm, but maybe not as hot as Vivienne Leigh. Although clearly, Vivienne Leigh couldnt have written as good a novel as Margaret. And speaking of the Civil War, General McClellan would have loved this blog, if he hadnt been dead for 127 years. But Im sure if he were here today, he'd have said, "Why on earth did I have to piss off Abraham Lincoln and why havent I been reading this blog ? "


    It's no coincidence that this blog references many moustache wearers and leads us quickly to a plethora of conspiracy theories. Why did Robert E Lee order Picketts charge at Gettysburg and what was Vivienne Leigh doing on the Grassy Knoll in Dallas on that fateful november day in 1963 ?

    Its odd that Groucho Marx, Twain, and even McClellan were known for their voluminous moustaches. Which must mean that the creator of this blog either darns a moustache, or perhaps even a goatee. This is simple deductive reasoning based on the laws of probability. Further analysis of the blog site points to evidence which would suggest that he may be a fan of the Milwaukee Brewers and the first Planet of the Apes movie. While this may seem peculiar at first, data shows that over 128,000 Milwaukee Brewers fans wear moustaches or goatees including some of the Brewers' pitchers.

    ReplyDelete